The D-Word Divorce

Follow me @Nolimit2life

I hung out with an old school mate and asked about some of our mutual friends I haven't been in touch with for a while and discovered that some of them were divorced. I was saddened by this news as I am a firm believer in "till death do us part". At what point does love turn so sour that couples can't even bear to be in the same location? To be honest, I just don't get it.
My friend said things were better in the days of our parents, grand parents and great grand parents but I was swift to disagree with her. It wasn't any better, the women just had little or no choice than to stay in that marriage for survival. But now, women have more choices and staying in a marriage no matter how good or bad is totally by choice and not by force...at least in most cases.
I don't like divorce, but I don't see any reason to knock the divorcee and neither should you.
Because truth be told, you really don't know what your reaction would be if you were in the same situation as the divorced so best bet is to empathize with them and be compassionate. No one walks down the aisle with the plan to break it off after a certain period (I may be wrong; as some do it for the purpose of immigration but for this post, I'm talking about two people in love with each other, walking down the aisle).
Some believe that marriage should be dissolved once cases of infidelity starts creeping in, do you agree with this or do you believe in forgiveness and second chances?

Comments

Unknown said…
I believe everyone is capable of committing mistakes, although there are limits as to how far one can take in keeping up with their partner's shortcomings. Marriage, for example, requires the commitment of two people, and requires the loyalty, trust and love of both the husband and the wife as a means to keep the relationship strong. It's different for everybody, as everyone marries for love that is on a different scale than another's. In any way, thanks for the enlightening topic! I had a delightful time stumbling upon your blog. All the best to you! :)

Joanne Krueger @ Kurtz & Blum, PLLC

Popular posts from this blog

You're not a tree... make that move!

Thankful Saturday V6

Re: In The Name of All Things Men.